#YASHOT REVIEW: Under My Skin by James Dawson

I am reviewing this book as part of #YASHOT which you can learn about here.

Title: Under My Skin


Author: James Dawson


Release Date: 5th of March, 2015


Publisher: Hot Key Books


Pages: 302 pages

"Meet Molly Sue. Once she's under your skin there's no getting rid of her...
Seventeen-year-old Sally Feather is not exactly a rebel. Her super-conservative parents and her treatment at the hands of high school bullies means that Sally's about as shy and retiring as they come - but all that's about to change. Accidentally ending up in the seedier side of town one day, Sally finds herself mysteriously lured to an almost-hidden tattoo parlour - and once inside, Sally is quickly seduced by its charming owner, Rosita, and her talk of how having a secret tattoo can be as empowering as it is thrilling. Almost before she knows what she is doing, Sally selects sexy pin-up Molly Sue, and has her tattooed on her back - hoping that Molly Sue will inspire her to be as confident and popular as she is in her dreams.But things quickly take a nightmareish turn. Almost immediately, Sally begins to hear voices in her head - or rather, one voice in particular: Molly Sue's. And she has no interest in staying quiet and being a good girl - in fact, she's mighty delighted to have a body to take charge of again. Sally slowly realises that she is unable to control Molly Sue... and before long she's going to find out the hard way what it truly means to have somebody 'under your skin'. "


Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23582973-under-my-skin

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-My-Skin-James-Dawson/dp/1471402967/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445376030&sr=8-2&keywords=under+my+skin

REVIEW TIME
Here was my initial review on goodreads:



My Goodreads reviews are always done straight after I finish a book so they can be rather brief and uninformative.

Characters & Plot:
I finally got around to reading this book and i'm so glad I saved it because it's a quick and easy read. Gripping and fast-paced, I loved every minute of it.

No matter how strange this plot seems it does surprisingly work and draw you in. James' writing is really gripping and I found that it doesn't falter throughout the book. If you've read his book Say Her Name then you understand what I mean.

The plot basically revolves around Sally Feather who needs a bit more confidence to get what she wants. She is a fantastic singer and really wants the main role in the school play. Now this sounds cheesy and kind of like Hairspray but it works within the high school setting. Also, Sally doesn't play up to the stereotype that everything in her life rests in this role.

I can't do this review without mentioning her fantastic friends. I want friends like hers because honestly my friends would think I was more of a crazy bitch if this happened to me.

Enter Molly-Sue. Who just so happens to be a talking tattoo. Yeah, anyway...
However evil/creepy/strange she is, I love her. She is sassy, has a deep south accent and is just plain addictive. She has a dark side but don't we all? A really good character who draws you in only to cut you loose. One to definitely watch out for whilst reading.

Don't let her get under your skin ;)

Overall feelings:

My overall feelings after reading this book are...
"BETRAYAL & BELIEVING IN YOURSELF"

RATING TIME

Moo Rating:

Thank you to Hot Key Books for sending this book out to me, it's effing BEAUTIFUL! Also, a big thank you to James Dawson for signing it for me at Liverpool One Waterstones, eeeeek!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,