REVIEW TIME: The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

Title: The Silver Linings Playbook

Author: Matthew Quick

Release Date: 16th of October, 2012

Publisher: Picador

Pages: 289 pages


" Meet Pat. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him -- the return of his estranged wife Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G! "



Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/13539044-the-silver-linings-playbook

Amazon Link: 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Linings-Playbook-film-tie-/dp/1447219899/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432980712&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+silver+linings+playbook+book+movie+edition

REVIEW TIME

Here was my initial review on goodreads:



Characters:
Who doesn't love Pat? He is the main character in this book, and I have to admit, at times I didn't understand an awful lot about what was going on! His outlook was sometimes jarred and hard to understand, but I suppose this is to reflect how he felt inside. I feel that Pat is highly misunderstood by his family, especially his dad and brother. He just wants to please and unfortunately, a lot of the time he can't do that, through no fault of his own. I felt a strong connection to Pat and wanted to help him through his struggle so much!

Tiffany is an unusual character, who you don't really know how to take at first. She's on and off, hot and cold. She has an ulterior motive behind every little sign and signal she sends Pat. I love her as a character now that I've finished the book, but in the beginning I was thinking what the hell is going on?! I loved reading about her, as you don't hear from her point of view but she sends so many signals to say, help me, mainly to Pat.

As for Nikki, simply a bitch.


Plot:
The plot to this book isn't as exciting as the characters. I found the characters are definitely what made this book so good. However, the plot is interesting as it's outlook on mental health is really eye-opening. I found myself changing my own view of mental health and understanding more. I felt the journey to be quite upsetting and overall a personal one. Matthew Quick has crafted the book perfectly in the viewpoint from a person suffering with mental health problems. I would be highly interested to look at his research regarding this book. I realised whilst reading, that not all families are supportive, or more that they don't understand the complexity of emotions Pat is experiencing. Definitely an emotional read and a good one for the mental health awareness readalong known as 'Mentalong'.

Overall feelings:

My overall feelings after reading this book are...

"Eye-opening & Inspiring"
A lovely insight into mental health and how it feels to go through that. This is a good book to read if you or a family member are going through this.

RATING TIME

Moo Rating:

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,